Help! I’ve Got Gaps Between My Front Teeth
The technical name for the extra space between teeth is a diastema. Many famous people including Madonna, Elijah Wood and Anna Paquin wear theirs with pride and it symbolizes part of their character. Though, many people don’t like these diastemas and are particularly not happy when the gap occurs between their front central incisors.
Causes of Gapped Teeth
A gap between teeth can have may different etiology’s and some are listed below
- A discrepancy between the size of the teeth and the jaw.
- A thumb or finger sucking habit as a child.
- An increased size labial frenum, the frenum is the tissue that connects the tissue to the gum.
Closing The Gap
Diastemas usually cause little or no health problems but most people choose to have the gap closed for cosmetic reasons. Depending on the cause of the gap the treatment options can vary patient to patient. Some of the treatment options are provided below:
- Leave the diastema
- Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign clear aligners or traditional braces. Dr. Khambay is an Invisalign provider. Treatment consultations are free and all impressions are taken using the iTero digital scanner, so no more goopy impressions.
- Porcelain veneers and crowns can be bonded to the existing teeth to give an aesthetic result. This may not be the correct solution if the gap is too wide because the teeth may end up looking to big.
- Removing the cause with surgery to reduce the size of the labial frenum.
If you’re concerned about the gaps between your teeth then we can provide you with a consultation appointment with Dr. Khambay to discuss your treatment options.
Here is a case completed by Dr. Khambay using composite bonding to close a mid-line diastema
Comments are closed.